The Wayne Township Small Claims Court is happy to announce that we now take online payments. For information please go to the bottom of this page.

Haga click aqui para ver esta página en español

The Wayne Township Division of the Small Claims Court allows its citizens to bring a lawsuit in an informed manner and does not require that a party hire an attorney. The procedures are not complex and were created to provide a speedy, inexpensive and uncomplicated means of determination of claims. In the Wayne Township Small Claim Court, the jurisdictional limit is $10,000.00 and typical cases involve, but are not limited to, auto accidents, property damage, landlord/tenant disputes and the collection of personal debts. Court staff is available to answer questions about court procedure, practice and policy. Court staff cannot, however, provide legal advice.

Contact the Wayne Township Small Claims Court at (317) 241-9573

The Honorable Gerald B. Coleman

The Honorable Gerald B. Coleman is the judge of the Wayne Township Division of the Marion County Small Claims Court. His job into decide disputes between parties unable to settle their differences. Cases before Judge Coleman involve less than $10,000.00, and are most are heard without the parties going through complicated litigation in a court of record.

Constable Kevin Kelley

Constable Kevin Kelley is the Constable of the Wayne Township Division of the Marion County Small Claims Court.The constable is making local government work for all of busboy improved public safety for all Wayne Township residents with timely serving of warrants, professional and accurate completion of law enforcement duties, increased transparency to make government more accessible to local residents and common-sense reforms that result in better service for taxpayers.

Where to File Your Claim (Location/Venue)

Small Claims Rules state that the right place to file a small claims suit is the county:

  • where the transaction or occurrence actually took place; or
  • where the obligation or debt was incurred; or
  • where the obligation is to be performed; or
  • where the Defendant resides; or
  • where the Defendant has his or her place of employment at the time the claim or suit is filed.

The county in which the suit must meet one of the above requirements in order to be the proper county of venue. If several counties qualify under the requirements, then the Plaintiff can file suit in any of the qualifying counties.

What to Do Before You File Your Claim

Before you fill out the forms to file your claim answer these questions:

  1. Does the Small Claims Court have the authority (jurisdiction) to hear your case?
  2. Is this county the proper location (venue) for filing your claim?
  3. Who are the parties to the action?
  4. Is it too late under the Statute of Limitations to file your claim?

Only if the answers to Questions 1 and 2 are both "yes" and the answer to 4 is "no" may you file a small claims action in this county.

Information Needed to File

  • Names, addresses and phone numbers of all parties
  • Reason for the lawsuit
  • $104.00 Filing Fee
  • Checks and Money Orders should be made payable to Wayne Township Small Claims Court.

Downloadable Forms

The following forms can be downloaded, completed and printed before arriving at the Trustee's court office.

Notice of Claims Summons (download)

Notice of Claim for Possession of Real Estate and Summons (download)

Complaint for the Unlawful Detention of Chattel (download)

What You Can and Cannot Sue For in Small Claims Court

There are many times when you may sue in Small Claims Court. The following list contains some examples:

  • Personal injury, Ten Thousand Dollars ($10,000.00) or less.
  • Damage to personal property or real estate, Ten Thousand Dollars ($10,000.00) or less.
  • Landlord and tenant disputes, if the rent due at the time of the filing is Ten Thousand Dollars ($10,000.00) or less.
  • Money owed (bad checks, wages, services rendered, accounts receivable), Ten Thousand Dollars ($10,000.00) or less.
  • Return of wrongfully taken property and return of money paid for faulty work, Ten Thousand Dollars ($10,000.00) or less.
  • Emergency possessory actions between a landlord and tenant under I.C. 32-31-6.


We are now accepting E-Filings, which will have a quicker turn around.

If you have questions on how to access this, you can visit:

If you need the correct form for E-Filing, please contact our court.

we look forward to seeing your filings online soon!

Online Payments


We are now accepting online payments. Read all of the following before proceeding to make a payment.

  • You must provide your full 17 digit case number that begins with 49K08.
  • If you do not have this, go to and look up your first and last name to find it.
  • If your case number is not proper, the payment WILL NOT be applied to your case
  • Payments can only be applied to Wayne Township Cases
  • Payments can only be applied to the case number entered on the payment screen.
  • Payments will reflect on your case in 1-3 business days

Payments can be made here: